Posted in UncategorizedMay 13, 2010
Posted: Thursday – May 13, 2010
Even before he got out of prison, Gucci Mane’s return was already receiving commentary from his fellow rappers.
In a recent interview with MTV News, Atlanta rapper Shawty Lo gave his opinion on Gucci’s release.
“Basically, me and Gucci, when my career started and Gucci’s career started, we was in the struggle. We was blackballed,” explained Shawty Lo. “So me and Gucci, we feel like we’re brothers from a different mother. Just to be here, man, it feels good to be here. I been arrested 28 times, and I been convicted four times, so I know how it feels. The Hip Hop police got it in [for us]. But at the end of the day, I’m here, thick or thin.”
Lo, who added he that he’s awaiting Lil Wayne and Boosie’s release as well, was joined by DJ Holiday, who proclaimed his support for Gucci was genuine, and not fabricated for publicity.
“I ain’t about getting that look. We’re brothers. We family. It’s bigger than that rap stuff.”
Posted in UncategorizedApril 29, 2010
Posted: Thursday – April 29, 2010
Although he’s still locked away behind bars, Radric “Gucci Mane” Davis is still managing to make headlines.
Promoters have filed a lawsuit in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania against Gucci Mane, his booking agent Johnnie Cabbell and his manager Debrah Antney, the former manager of Nicki Minaj and mother of Waka Flocka Flame.
The lawsuit claims that Cabbell and Antney misappropriated money from concert promoters William Marshall of Marshall Productions and Derrick Brown of Rockstar Entertainment, by accepting deposits for two shows knowing that the rapper’s travel restrictions would not allow him to perform.
According to the lawsuit, Guccu’s representatives took two $13,750 advances for the rapper to perform the shows in Pittsburgh.
Marshall and Brown’s lawsuit states these claims saying,
“The defendants engaged in a widespread scheme scheduling con certs they knew would not take place.”
They are seeking more than $25,000 in damages.
Gucci Mane’s travel was restricted after he was released from jail on parole for a 2005 felony assault case.
This is not the first time Cabbell of Hitt Afta Hitt Entertainment and Antney of So Icey/Mizay Entertainment have had legal issues.
As previously reported they were sued for $175,000 in 2009 by a Florida concert promoter that claims they booked 20 shows for the rapper between July and November that were canceled because Gucci could not appear.
Antney has since denied any wrongdoing.
Posted in UncategorizedApril 12, 2010
Posted: April 12, 2010
Nicki Minaj is continuing to progress in her rap career despite cancellations, disses and now changes in her management team.
As previously reported, Nicki pulled out of Rihanna’s “Last Girl On Earth” tour just days after being announced as an opening act for the R&B singer. Following that she was dissed by rapper Khia for her image, lyrics and lack of music.
Now Nicki’s back in the headlines, this time for firing her manager, the mother of Waka Flocka Flame Debrah Antney.
Antney is confirming that she’s been fired and tells HipHopWeekly that she received paper work on her termination from Minaj’s attorney.
“I received a letter, which was (a) suspension. The next letter that came in was a cease and desist in doing all business with Nicki Minaj from Nicki’s attorney.”
The CEO of Mizay Entertainment, also responsible for the careers of Gucci Mane and OJ Da Juiceman, says she has no hard feelings towards the Barbie.
“I love Nicki. I wish her the most success. It’s not about the music, she’s like one of my children,” she said. “I wish her no harm, only much success.”
Debrah Antney and Waka Flocka
While there is yet to be confirmation, we are hearing reports that Minaj is making a huge business move and moving on to the management team responsible for Lady Gaga’s success.
Congrats to her!
Posted in UncategorizedFebruary 10, 2010
Posted: Wednesday – February 10, 2010
One of the Bay area’s biggest names in Hip-Hop is set to return to music with the release of two albums on the same day.
E-40 is announcing plans to release his two new projects, Revenue Retrievin’ The Day Shift and Revenue Retrievin’ The Night Shift March 30.
Featured on the albums are fellow West Coast representatives Snoop Dogg and Too Short as well as Gucci Mane, Mistah Fab, Bobby Valentino, Jazze Pha, YV and J. Valentine with production from B-Legit, Messy Marv and Clyde Carson.
Speaking on his two latest installments, E-40 says he’s taking it back to the basics.
“I’m excited about this album; it’s been a year since I dropped “The Ball Street Journal.” It marks an important independent business venture for me. This way, I am able to go back to the basics and run my own campaign.”
As the clock ticks closer to March 30, EMI Records will utilize a high-level security team to protect both projects after last year’s leak of nine tracks from 40′s “The Ball Street Journal.”
In the meantime the ambassador of the Bay will kick his promotional efforts into high gear, debuting tracks online via UStream and YouTube so that fans can hear a preview of what’s to come.
Posted in UncategorizedNovember 20, 2009
Posted: Thursday – November 19, 2009
Gucci Mane spoke out for the first time from jail Tuesday (November 17) since returning to jail last week. In what looks to be a sorry letter Gucci said he is prepared to face the music. “I have accepted full responsibility for my actions, and I am ready to deal with what is in front of me right now,” Gucci’s statement read. ”Thankfully, my label is still moving forward with my album release, so I will have plenty to look forward to when I get out. I am remaining positive and want my fans to know that I am grateful for their loyalty and continued support. I will get through this.”
Last week Gucci was sentenced to 12 months in jail [Previously: Gucci Mane Sentenced to One Year in Jail] after he broke multiple probation violations. He failed to serve hundreds of hours of community service and attend classes for anger management and drug and alcohol abuse. Gucci also disregarded court orders to obtain proper permission to travel. Gucci’s Lawyer and the courts are confident that Gucci will serve no more than 6 months of the 12 month sentence. Gucci was looking at facing two and a half years for the probation violation but the judge was lenient.
Gucci Mane’s attorney, Dwight Thomas, said, “In court, Mr. Davis was extremely articulate and he was remorseful for his conduct. He was able to convince the courts that he was not deserving of the 2-year prison sentence he was facing.” Luckily Gucci Mane’s upcomming album “The State vs Radric Davis” will still drop on the planned release date of December 8. The album features guest spots by Keyshia Cole, Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Keri Hilson and Usher.
Posted in UncategorizedNovember 14, 2009
Posted: Friday – November 13, 2009
Gucci Mane was sentenced to 12 months in jail for probation violation during a scheduled court appearance yesterday, and according to his lawyer began serving his time immediately. According to MTV, in line with the terms of his sentence Gucci may be released from jail in six months.
Gucci was just released from jail earlier this year in March after serving more than 6 months on a one year sentence stemming from his failure to fulfill his court-ordered 600 hours of community service from an assault case from 2005. Since then though, the rapper has arguably become one of the hottest MCs in hip-hop. With a feature on tracks from Omarion, Mario, and 50 Cent he not only conquered the underground with his mixtapes, but brought his sound to mainstream radio as well.
His aptly-titled album, The State vs. Radric Davis, will be his second studio release is set to hit stores on December 8th. The first single from the album, Wasted featuring Plies, is Gucci’s most successful single to date and is his first top 40 hit. The album will feature collaborations with Cam’ron, Lil Wayne, Waka Flocka, Nicki Minaj, Keyshia Cole, Rick Ross, and many more.