Two promoters are being sued by an entertainment company after they failed to make good on their promises. 80’s Baby Entertainment say they paid Carlos Goodspeed and Jason “DJ J Rudd” Rudd a deposit with the understanding that they could secure rapper Drake and several other artists for two separate concerts but the two never delivered the superstar and then failed to return the deposit.
According to the lawsuit, which was filed on Monday (September 13), 80’s Baby first contacted Goodspeed back in March 2009. The company forked over $27,500 to bookCiara, Plies, Soulja Boy, and Webbie for a Summer Jamconcert but was told later that Ciara had to back out. Goodspeed allegedly promised to return the deposit to the company once the R&B singer’s label refunded the money, however 80’s Baby never saw a dime.
The issue became bigger in July 2009, when the company decided they wanted to book singer Jamie Foxx through another promoter. They needed the deposit they paid Goodspeed for the new concert but still couldn’t retrieve the funds so they weren’t able to seal the deal.
The complaint, then fast forwards to December, when the company started working with a third party and this time they linked up with Rudd in the hopes of booking Drake. They paid a $20,000 fee and in the claim state that contract says that if the Young Money MC was a no-show, their deposit would be returned.
What they didn’t know though at the time was that Rudd and Goodspeed were linked and the money they gave to Rudd actually went into an account that Goodspeed controlled. Again they were misled and they have yet to see either of their deposits.
80’s Baby is accusing the two promoters of fraud, breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation and theft of service and is seeking to recoup $50,000 and an undisclosed amount in damages.
Things were being set in place to get Drake to perform in New York City’s Central Park in Mid-July as a part of a concert series by ABC’s Good Morning America but the gig has been cancelled amid concerns over security.
The New York Daily News reports that ABC decided against booking the Young Money MC for a July 16th show after the New York Police Department told the city’s Parks Department that the Parks’ security plan wouldn’t be able to handle the expected crowd.
“We were interested in having Drake perform, but he was never officially booked,” said an ABC spokesperson.
Drake attempted to perform in Manhattan earlier this year, but that concert was shut down by police after the audience got out of control. A larger than expected crowd attended the shindig and after the Feels Like Paper event got off to a late start fans began to throw chairs and riot.
“While the South Street Seaport and Paper Magazine were looking forward to a great kick-off concert for the summer season, our primary concern is always the safety of our guest,” said a rep from the Seaport.
“The on-site crowd had greatly exceeded safe capacity; was still rising and the show could no longer be presented in a safe atmosphere.”
ABC’s summer concert series has featured the likes of Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, and Alicia Keys in the past.
Andre 3000 is one of the rappers that went on Drake’s collaboration wish list for his debut album, Thank Me Later, but a verse from 3 Stacks is noticeably absent from the LP, which is loaded with big-name features.
Explaining why Dre didn’t make the cut to VIBE, Drake said that the emcee, who is one half of rap duo Outkast, would like him to prove himself before they jumped on a track together.
“I really tried to do a song with Andre 3000, but I think it was meant for my second album,” reasoned Drake. “Dre is one of those people that needs you to do a little more. He’s one of those people that believe in his craft so much that he needs you to do more than just be over hyped or just famous. In his mind, I have to prove myself and truth is, I do. That’s just being real. I have a lot of work to do, so I actually respect him for that.”
Drake also said that for his next album, which will reportedly be titled Moments, he will have a lot less features. “I think on the second album I’ll probably only have two features. I have a few people in mind and Dre probably will be one of them,” he added.
The Canadian rapper’s first major label effort, Thank Me Later, was released online and in stores yesterday (June 15). Expectations are high and industry estimates place first week sales in the 500,000 range.
As Lil Kim continues to throw verbal darts at those associated with Nicki Minaj, it only makes sense that her cross-hairs are set on Drake as she attacks the rapper after he defended his “sister”.
Taking a direct shot at his manhood, Kim compares the young phenomenon to showcasing some female traits and losing her support after blatantly disrespecting the Queen Bee.
Speaking on Miss Info TV, the female rapper elaborated on her feelings toward Drake now that he placed himself in her affairs with Barbie.
“I used to really like Drake…for him to have the audacity to disrespect me? He’s gonna shout me out, when Ray-J the one who said it? How b*tchy do you look right now? You look like a straight pussy.”
She added that it looked worse on his part due to the fact that she’s a female and he was attacking her as though she was the one the sparked the events that have happened since that performance.
“I didn’t even know [Ray J] was gonna do this sh*t….when he was on stage and he said what he said, I had no choice but to back him…”
Clearly, there is a LOT of ego going on in Hip-Hop these days and people need to calm themselves down. Whether Lil Kim is aware of the fact or not, her career has been over for quite some time, or has definitely been in a coma on life support, and as much as she might demand the respect of Minaj, she might need to show some as her name is beginning to be relevant again.
When’s the last time anyone was bumping a track from Lil Kim that wasn’t from back in the day?
What have you done lately that’s worth mentioning?
Don’t ruin a legacy with such childlike actions Kim, it’s not really worth it.
‘I don’t think anything like this has happened in music since Elvis got drafted into the Army,’ he says.
Bun B has been friends with Lil Wayne since he was a teenager. The Houston legend said having Wayne out of the music game for a year will be a greater loss than people are realizing.
“I feel bad, because I don’t think anything like this has happened in music since Elvis got drafted into the Army,” Bun B said. ” … Let’s just keep it real: Lil’ Wayne is not just the biggest rapper, Lil Wayne is the biggest pop star right now. Maybe Susan Boyle is on his level. But when you talk about music, nine times out of 10, Lil Wayne’s name is gonna come into the conversation. I feel bad for any brother or any sister that’s gotta go to jail. I feel especially bad for a person like Lil Wayne who’s really riding the wave right now. But he don’t have a lot of time. He’s doing it on the Island. As wild and as ill as the Island is, I think at the same time, he’ll be all right. When you in that state jail and you dealing with those lifers, you got a lot of other issues at hand.”
While in jail, Wayne should just focus on serving his time productively and not worry about fellow inmates, Bun said.
“I don’t think it will be smart for him to go to general population,” he said. “A person like Lil Wayne doesn’t have to prove anything to anybody in general population exposing themselves to that yard. It’s not about being real. It’s too many people who have way too much to gain, and [there is] so much he could lose by trying to prove something. … That’s nota good look. … It’s a little bit different when a person like Lil Wayne goes to jail. All we can do is pray for him. Pray for his spirit.”
Bun, who championed his late musical brother Pimp C years ago when Pimp was in prison, said he admires the attitude Wayne’s musical family has in this tough time.
“I just left Miami. People [were] trying to keep their heads up and sprits up while the young man was around, but they are hurting,” Bun said. “One thing I noticed from the Young Money camp is that they’re not being down because of their careers and they’re worried about a co-sign. They are worried about a friend. That’s what I see from Drake, Nicki, Stunna. … These people are concerned about a friend going to prison.”
As Wayne prepares for his jail bid, one thing is apparent and that’s’ that the Cash Money/ Young Money train won’t stop.
Before he goes in, Wayne is on record to film at least 20 videos that will feature him alongside other artists as well as his Young Money and Cash Money crew.
As Hip-Hop Wired previously reported, Lil Wayne took a visit last week to the dentist for a list of procedures including 8 root canals in preparation for his sit down.
In a recent interview with British radio personality Tim Westwood, Weezy discusses his upcoming The Carter IV album as well as his label roster which includes Nicki Minaj and Drake being about their business and making sure the label propels while he’s on hiatus.
Wayne also spoke on the reports that he was having a hard time selling his Miami condo because of the aroma of Mary Jane throughout the building. Wayne stated,
“The only part about it not being true is the having trouble part. We not having trouble selling it but all the other stuff is true. We not having trouble with that. That’s actually a [selling point]. The people that are coming into look at it like that more about it. That’s like walking into Bob Marley’s crib and you still smelling weed and his bed still messed up and fool still on the table. You like leave all that shit. I want to buy all that shit. I’m like of them niggas now.”
Peep the footage below as Wayne speaks on his last days of freedom.